Sunday, June 27, 2010

First cucumber! :)

Me and my mom pulled the first cucumber today! I wanted to wait a few more days but I just couldn't :)


It tasted like I figured it would; like a cucumber! At first I felt like something was missing; it didn't taste exactly like they did when we buy them at the store. But it wasn't chilled because I was too excited to wait :) So I stuck it in the fridge and surely, a couple hours later it tasted just like a real cucumber! Well, it IS a real cucumber :)


It was so exciting! I had everyone in the house try it. It was the first thing either me or my mom have ever grown from seed that we've eaten. It's kind of amazing :) We're pulling another one tomorrow because this one was gone quickly after the photos were taken :) There are a couple more out there that are probably big enough but we want them to grow a little longer first. Now I just need to figure out what to do with them all!

We know we're making pickles with some, cucumber salad with some, using some with regular salad, and eating some raw, but we're going to have cucumbers growing out of our ears! Does anyone have some good recipes involving cucumbers?

Ps. Why does my cucumber have those white dots where the prickles were? Is that okay to eat? I hope that doesn't mean I picked them too soon...Oops!

Well, that's all for today! :)

--Seana

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first harvest!! Did you weigh it? You will be amazed at how much you will harvest from your garden.

    I like to make cucumber salad in the summer. Just slice the cucumbers, add some thinly sliced onions. Make a dressing with sour cream, a little vinegar and a little sugar. Pour the dressing over the cucumbers and put in the frig. I think it tastes best when it sits over night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! No, I didn't weigh it =/ Thinking back now, I wish I would have. But I was just too excited to eat it!

    That sounds delicious! I believe my mom makes something similar, so I'll definitely bring that up! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big congratulations on your first harvest! That looks like one delicious cucumber. I'm still (not so patiently) waiting for some female flowers to show up on my cucumber plants.

    In addition to salads, I also use cucumber for sandwiches. You can add it to any sandwich you want, but I also make cucumber sandwiches - start with thin slices of dense bread (maybe rye or pumpernickel), spread some cream cheese (or any kind of herb soft cheese like Alouette), and top with slices of cucumber. You can even make them as open face sandwiches for appetizers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, that's cool as a cucumber! If they get ahead of you, just Google for "refrigerator pickles", it's a good way to keep them for weeks and weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theme2Garden: Thanks! Don't worry, they'll be there in no time! That actually sounds delicious, I'll have to try that!

    Granny: Thanks! Yes, I'm definitely going to be making plenty of pickles!

    ReplyDelete