Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New seeds planted!

Me and my mom did quite a bit in the garden today! We still have more to do but we're saving that for tomorrow. Unfortunately, we had to plant a lot of seeds really late because we had no where to put them, but today, we planted corn, broccoli, carrots and we moved some mild jalepenos that we have growing in pots into the ground.

Here is the corn:
And here are the peppers we moved:

The other stuff we planted was too small to photograph.

But aside from that, we also weeded (is that a word?) EVERYTHING. There are now tomatoes on all three plants, which I didn't get to take pictures of because I didn't have my phone of my camera on me at the time. The bell peppers are moving slowly but surely. There are two little tiny babies on there. The red hot chili peppers are going crazy. They're big enough now, we're just waiting for them to turn red. 

The leaf lettuce is ready to be thinned out, which is going to be done tomorrow, along with planting cauliflower, some more onions, strawberries, and asparagus. We're also putting the watermelon plants in the ground tomorrow. The green beans and peas seem to be doing fine. The remaining iceberg is doing okay too, but we're going to plant some more tomorrow to make up for the ones we lost from the rain. 

The cucumbers are growing like crazy. We've already pulled four and eaten them in the last three days, and we pulled quite a few to make pickles with last night. We're going to be making them tomorrow, also. So we've still got plenty to do, but the garden is coming along nicely! I guess that's all for now!

--Seana

4 comments:

  1. My goodness...you certainly did a lot of work today. You are going to have a huge garden!

    Don't worry about planting things late. If they don't do well. You always have next year and a lot of experience. Now that you have got the garden bug...you can spend the winter planning for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get my butt moving and plant some seeds for my fall garden! Seana, are you direct sowing your cauliflower seeds, or do you have seedlings? I've been wondering if I have to start all brassica seeds indoors, or if I can direct sow them for the fall garden. And when you mentioned strawberries, you'll be planting them tomorrow? I didn't know you could plant them this late, but I don't know enough about planting times yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You and your Mom are going great guns on that garden! It sounds like you're having fun with it, and that's important. Like Robin said, use this year as a learning experience and you'll do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin: Yes, it was a bit tiring! And yeah, that's what we were thinking. We might as well try :)

    Thyme2Garden: We just have plain seeds. We wanted to plant them in pots first but I think we're running out of time and we just wanted to get everything right in the ground. Yes, we're planting the strawberries tomorrow...I'm not sure of planting times either, but they're strawberry roots, so I know that they grow faster than seeds.

    Granny: Yes, plenty of fun :) Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete