Friday, June 25, 2010

Rain Rain Go Away :(

Hi everyone. Yesterday we had some really bad storms here. They ended up flooding the iceberg lettuce and quite a bit of it died :( I'm hoping the rest will be okay the next time it rains. It didn't hurt much else though. They were the smallest things in the garden; they'd just began to sprout. 

On a happier note though, I have a bunch to update on. Pretty much everything in the garden has made progress since the last time I posted. The bell pepper hasn't done much, but there is another flower:
But none of the other plants have flowers yet =/

The cucumbers are getting big still:
I'm guessing in just a couple more days, it will be the size I want! :) For the last week or so, we've been noticing that our cucumber plants are growing into our neighbors yard. She said she wouldn't mind but the guy who does her lawn might cut them off, so I figured we should probably move them back so they were only up against our fence. I did about half of them, but sadly I accidentally broke quite a few tendrils that were wrapped around the fence. I hope I didn't do too much damage =/ 

I also found this really weird bug on one of the stems:
It looks like one of those wishy flowers! It was so fuzzy that I couldn't even believe it was a bug...I'm thinking it's some kind of caterpillar because of they way it moved. I didn't move it, which was probably a terrible idea, but I HATE caterpillars. Just taking this picture made me cringe. I definitely didn't want to touch it. I'm going to do some research and if it's harmful to the plants, I'll find someone else to remove it. Does anyone else know what it could be?

The leaf lettuce is really shaping up! It's actually starting to look like lettuce:
So that's exciting.

The peas are all up too:
They're doing well. 

As well as the green beans:
I'm actually surprised at how big they are by now!

The red hot chili peppers are also doing well. These are the two biggest ones:
 But there are a bunch of those all over :)

And last but not least!:
3 little baby tomatoes! I was so worried that these weren't going to do anything and then these little guys showed up! These are the beefsteak; the others don't have any tomatoes yet. But they DO have flowers! 

Well, I think that's it. I need to work on making these posts a little shorter :) Sorry!

--Seana

4 comments:

  1. Wow, look at all your baby vegetables - soon, they'll be teenagers! :) Well, except for our cucumber, that one looks like it's almost ready to go. I can't wait till my cucumber flowers start magically turning into little baby cucumbers.

    About caterpillars, would you have problems touching them if you were wearing some gloves? Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no! Don't make your posts shorter, I love watching your garden grow and produce!

    You're going to have a few setbacks and disappointments, but the good things soon overcome the bad. It's very possible your lettuce seedlings will be too close, even after losing some to the rain. After they've developed a couple of true leaves, just carefully lift some of them out and plant them in the empty spaces. I just use a kitchen fork to gently lift them with a bit of soil. It's best to do this toward evening, or on a cool cloudy day, so they can have a bit of time to revive after being uprooted. They might look very wilted for a couple of days, but they usually perk up and grow just fine. I'd make sure to have them 6-8" apart. Some of mine are taking up more than an entire square foot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Granny...your posts are not too long.

    Your garden is really progressing...congrats on your tomatoes. It's always exciting when they start! Don't worry about your peppers. They will get more flowers and peppers before you know it.

    I have no idea what your fuzzy wuzzy friend is...he is kink of cute :)

    We did not get the violent storms here, only a ten minute shower. We really need a day of rain. It makes for happy veggies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thyme2Garden: I know, it's so exciting! The cucumbers grow fast too! I feel like it's only been a few days since they first flowered...And I actually found some gloves and was about to go out there and move him, but when I went out he wasn't there anymore!

    Granny: Well thank you! :) Yes, I was thinking it isn't a huge set back because we are going to have to thin the lettuce out anyway. Thank you very much! :)

    Robin: Thanks :) I just don't want to bore people! Thanks for the congratulations. I hope so! I don't know what he is either...I really did think he was a dandelion at first! Well either way, he's gone now, so I don't have to worry about him causing any damage! And the storms were pretty bad here, there was hail, which is what I was most worried about. I was at work when it happened and the plants were all I could think about. As soon as I got home, before I even went inside, I went to check on them. They seemed fine though, besides the lettuce. The hail didn't do any harm. The cucumbers DO seem happier from the storm though, and the tomatoes ;)

    ReplyDelete