Monday, June 14, 2010

Introduction to my garden :)

Like I've stated, we don't have much room in our yard. But here's a little look into what we've come up with.

We have three cages of tomatoes; Roma, Pear, and Beef Steak:


We bought these at a plant sale when they were teeny tiny. They've gotten pretty big since then. You can't tell in this picture, but there are flowers on all three plants. They probably aren't spaced far enough, but like I said, we don't have much room, and they're doing fine :)


Next is our one lonely Red Hot Chili Pepper plant:




I found this little tiny pathetic looking plant at Walmart while looking for garden fences...I wasn't planning on buying any plants there, but this was about the only one there that wasn't dead and I kind of felt bad for it. It's bigger now, with two peppers already growing and plenty of little flowers blooming :) If anyone knows how big they should be before I pull them, let me know :)


These are some onions that we planted from bulbs:


There weren't a lot, so we just placed them around in the garden. We realize now that this probably wasn't the best idea because while some are doing pretty good, there are some that are looking pretty sad :( Next time we plant them, we're going to plant them all in one section with equal amounts of sun.


We also bought three bell pepper plants from that plant sale I mentioned:


Here's one of them. They haven't made a ton of progress but there are a couple buds on them. As you can probably tell, the garden needs to be weeded in that area pretty badly so I'm going to get to that shortly. (Even though I did it just a few days ago!) You can also see a few onions that aren't doing too well :( Not far enough in the ground is my guess.


And last but not least (that's made enough progress to post about), cucumbers!:

These guys are the most exciting to me because we planted them from seed. Now they have little baby cucumbers on them! And they're so cute :)

The flowers are really pretty too:


This is the only thing I'm worried about:


Is it a cucumber disease? It's only on some of the leaves...Could it possibly just be too much water or something? I don't know, but it's worrying me. It's not like, fuzzy or anything, it's just discoloration. There aren't any holes. I'm really hoping they're okay :(

Other than that, they're training up the fence nicely:


There are about half of the plants pictured, there are more to the right. (You can also see the onions! Sadly they aren't the very good ones and it probably wasn't very smart to plant them so close to the cucumbers...) The first cucumber plant is especially tall, but the rest of them are coming along nicely too! Mostly all of them have flowers by now. It's very exciting :)

We have some mild jalepenos in pots, as well as some kiwis from a fruit that may not actually bear fruit, but we figured it's worth a shot to try. We planted some watermelons yesterday and they should be visible in about a week :) We also have plenty more seeds to plant, even though it's a little bit late in the season.

Well, that's our garden so far!

--Seana

2 comments:

  1. Seana, your peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers look just great! Very lush and healthy. I'd just nip that spotted leaf off and not worry about it. It looks like it just got water and/or mud splashed on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much! I'm pleased with them so far :)

    Yes, I'm sure that's what it was, thank you! Most of the spots are gone now, thankfully!

    ReplyDelete