Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lettuce & An Update

Hello all :) Today, my mom and I planted some leaf lettuce in the garden. First things first, we certainly don't have a lot of room like I've mentioned, but our next door neighbor has a little garden fence in her yard, shaped to an octagon with lettuce inside so we decided to try :)

We bought these seeds from Walmart:

There were tons of weeds to be destroyed first (our dog Sam helped, he loves to dig!):

And then we planted about half the pack, and this is what we came up with!:

It's a small area, and we wanted to plant it on raised ground, but we didn't really have another choice. The seedlings are supposed to emerge in 7-10 days, so we're definitely keeping an eye out for that...Plus hoping we don't confuse them with weeds =/

In some other news, we pulled our first green onions today!:
 

It may have been a bit early but my mom was making an Asian dish for dinner that called for them so we figured we'd pull some. I didn't try it because I don't like Asian food, but everyone else said it was great, so I guess that was a success :)


-Seana

4 comments:

  1. Hi Seana and thank you for following my blog. You will learn so much from all of the garden bloggers. It's great to see someone your age starting your own garden and a blog as well. Everyday and every year will have it's challenges and successes!

    You may want to mulch around your plants....that will help keep the weeds down. You can use straw, plastic, grass clippings...etc.

    Oh, your pictures on this post are not showing up. You may want to check that out.

    We don't live very far apart. I always worked in the Philly area.

    Take care and keep on gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! No problem!

    Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely look into that :)

    Hm, I'm not sure what's up with the pictures...I'll try and fix them.

    Thanks, you too :)

    -Seana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm seeing your pictures, Seana. I just want to echo what Robin said, and thank you for following my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting me know!

    No problem!

    ReplyDelete